Monday, October 19, 2009

Random musings about my brother...

My brother is 14 years old and lives with my mother and stepdad in California. Despite the large age difference, we were really close growing up. But since I've moved out we've grown apart, and now each time we make acquaintance I'm amazed at how much he's changed, and a little ashamed that I'm not around to be a part of it. If I recall correctly, being a teenager kinda sucks, and I want to help if I can. I want to be a good brother.

This summer I had written him while I was on a farm in Oregon, and with the letter I had included my copy of The Little Prince. Not only is it a must-read for everybody, but I figured if he has any artistic or literary aspirations, I might be able to help guide him down this path.

Today a package arrived with the returned book and a wonderful three page letter. Turns out he doesn't like school (except electrical class), enjoys skateboarding and playing guitar, and hasn't had a girlfriend in a whole 4 months! (he said he's taking my advice from last time we met: he's going for quality, not quantity! haha!) About The Little Prince, he had only this to say:
"I loved that book. It was kind of random, but I still liked it."
He cracks me up.

I remember, as a young child, he would love playing with legos, building elaborate robots and such. Now it turns out he likes electrical class... hmmm... sounds like a theme is developing. I wonder what I can do to help him discover himself?

Haha! My mom just called, and when I told her I received my brothers package she said:

"Yes, wasn't his letter wonderful? He never does anything like that - you really inspired him. Of course we still hear stories about the times you babysit and chased him around the house with a butcher knife. And we all remember when you got him drunk when he was 4 years old... Now that you're older, will you please inspire him for the good?"
No promises!

No comments:

Post a Comment