Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Dallion's Big Day!

The annual Austin SCBWI regional conference is only days away, and I'll be there.

For those unaware, that awkward acronym stands for the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators, a powerful international organization capable of making Kings of mere men (or ruthlessly crushing them underfoot).

Gulp.

This is my first foray into the world of professional authors and artists, but fear not! Thanks to my cleverly concealed flask of scotch, this Saturday I'll be confidently stumbling my way through masses of publishers, agents, authors, and illustrators (and hopefully learning a few tricks along the way).

And what a group we got! Only a week ago the American Library Association announced its 2010 Awards (which includes the eminently prestigious Caldecott and Newberry Awards - these are the Oscars of Children's Literature, folks!), and turns out, resident Austinites won more than our fair share of honors, PLUS these people will be in attendance and speaking at the conference! Exciting stuff indeed. My former Children's Book Illustration teacher sums it up wonderfully on his blog.

Am I nervous about the conference? A little. But really there's nothing to lose. I suspect it may be high stakes for some authors and illustrators who will be bringing manuscripts and portfolios, looking for contracts. While I too will be bringing some of my work, I have nothing to show to publishers, nor am I looking for an agent at this time. Basically I'm not there to sell myself. I'm there to learn and meet some interesting people. I'm still a student!

And what a curriculum!

No comments:

Post a Comment